Puke Green Spotted Cake

When I was in sixth grade my parents went away on a mission trip to New York State. Their mission was to teach vacation bible school.

During their trip I stayed with my Grandma, my mom's mom. Grandma was awesome. Known throughout New Liberty Baptist Church and beyond, my Grandma was an excellent cook. I wanted to be like my Grandma.

Grandma would let me do whatever I wanted in the kitchen. Often she would sit on her back porch reading a story, while I made jello, attempted baking or heated up pizza rolls or a pop tart.

My very first cake I made all by myself. Things you need to know before you make your very first cake are:
(a.) sifting powder sugar is VERY important.
(b.) liquid food coloring will spread if not incorporated into your sugar mixture properly.
(c.)brothers can be very mean.

This cake was a mucus green, leaning tower of magnificence with globs of powder sugar balls throughout. Sort of like at your second cousin's wedding(twice removed) your drunk uncle had one too many cups of punch spiked with vodka and puked up a green Swiss dot pattern all over the wedding cake. But no matter... I made this cake all by myself and I was SOOOO PROUD of it! My brother Eric came over to Grandma's and laughed and laughed at my cake. I thought, "well he's wrong... my cake is beautiful..."

Grandma had a bite of my cake and said it was good and that it didn't matter that the sugar was lumpy, sugar can never be bad. Grandma understood. Sugar is God's way of sending the angel's sweet kisses down to earth. Cake is Love.

I had tried so hard to do a good job and show my Grandma that I wanted to be like her. My cake was filled with love and admiration and the desire to be a good cook, just like her. Grandma always encouraged me to keep on trying, and trying again, because she loved me and believed in me.

Grandma had me freeze the cake, to save for later... Eventually, my dog Digger would have a very fat belly from eating the rest of my very first cake.

I have never given up on baking cakes. Sometimes I win a blue ribbon at the state fair for my cakes... Sometimes my cakes fall and I haven't a clue why. But that's okay, because anything with sugar can't be bad...

And when your cake falls you can make a trifle... or have a very happy dog.

0 comments:

Post a Comment