Wedding Cake

So I've been thinking today... about Wedding Cake. My husband Gary and I eloped. On the day we were married we had yogurt at the shop I worked at... but no cake. How is this possible? I LOVE cake!

So I married the day before my 21st birthday (easy for my hubby to remember both anniversary and birthday, right?). At the time I worked at a pharmacy in Dalton, Frank's Pharmacy. I was on vacation the week I married (we were building our first home) and when I came into the pharmacy to share my newly married self to Frank and his son Bruce and their family I found out to my great surprise that Frank had run out and bought me a cake! With a bell on it and everything!

This is something I have never forgotten. What a sweet gesture to get me a wedding cake. It wasn't fancy, but it tasted as good as any cake I've ever had. I've been thinking about love and thinking about cake and it all makes sense. Cake is and has always been an expression of love for me. My Grandma made us cakes. My mom let me choose my cake for my birthday. Cake is special.

I'm not really "huggy/feely" with folks, except those super close to me. So my new cake mission is me trying to step out and give love. It's pretty easy for me to give cake to my friends and family. I'm sure I will do this on my cake mission. But I hope to step out and give cake to folks I've never met too.

Frank passed away many years ago. And his son Bruce is closing Frank's Pharmacy this month. So I'm thinking about Frank and Bruce. I'm thinking about my wedding cake Frank bought me. And I'm thinking about love.

That's what cake does for you. It brings your mouth joy and your heart love and your brain happy memories of folks you may not have seen in a really long time. Who knew cake could do so much?

Next up - Banana Pound cake...

0 comments:

Post a Comment